[ltp] RE: Mwave/ACP modem and APM suspend

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:47:50 -0800 (PST)

On 14-Jan-01 Thomas Hood wrote:
> Hi Thomas and Till.
>
> I just double-checked and the Mwave/ACP modem does NOT
> work on my ThinkPad 600 after a suspend & resume.
> I have to do a /etc/init.d/mwavem restart (using my

(Unfortunately, ) I can confirm this.

> init scripts.  BTW I updated them today.  See
> http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm .)
>
> I also tried doing what Till Straumann suggested:  I
> logged on to my ISP using a Xircom PCMCIA modem and then
> immediately after did the same with the Mwave/ACP modem.
> The Mwave/ACP modem did NOT produce any sound, even
> though I am pretty sure that I have the appropriate
> AT commands in my init string:
>             ATM1L1Q0V1W2X4&C1&D2 S6=4 S11=55
>
> Here is my suspicion:
> 1) Speaker monitoring is not supported by the current
>    Mwave/ACP modem driver
> 2) Till Straumann didn't notice that he was using his
>    PCMCIA modem (not the ACP modem) the second time
>    as well as the first time.  Is this possible, Till?
>    :)

Here's what I (reproducably) do on my TP600E (2645-550):

 - make sure the loudspeaker is not switched off:
   (repeatedly hitting <Fn>-<PgUp>).

 - insert my PCMCIA modem (Venus K56FLEX V.90 kfav163 PCMCIA
   p52198) and run minicom using the default init:

    AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

 - do a "ATA" command -> the PCMCIA modem produces the
   characteristic sounds.

 - Physically eject the PCMCIA modem (I guess this makes
   it pretty sure I'm not using it for the next steps :-)

 - Start up mwavem, setserial etc. (In fact, I also can perform
   this step before playing with the PCMCIA modem).

 - Start minicom on the ACP modem (again using what minicom
   defaults to: AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

 - do a "ATA" command -> the ACP modem produces the anwering
   sound sequence (as a matter of fact, I can distinguish
   both modems because they produce quite different sounds)

 - I also can issue a "ATX3DT012345" (no connection to the
   phoneline, therefore the X3) and listen to the DTMF tones

 ---> On my machine, it works.

Regards, Till.