[ltp] Problems when installing RH7.0 in IBM ThinkPad 560Z

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:08:14 -0500

adisudewa@id.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed RH7.0 in my ThinkPad 560Z.
> I have experiences installing RH Linux in various desktop system without
> trouble, but this time I encountered a lot of problems.
>
> Kindly please everyone with Linux ThinkPad experiences help me
> solve the problems. Thanks.
>
> Here are list of problems :
>
> apmd can't resume
>
> apmd daemon run without any error reporting, but everytime I close the lid,
> and
> reopen it, the laptop not responding and I had to restart the system
> not in a proper way. I guess the harddisk was the problem, but I am not
> sure.
Check the kernel configuration, I'm not certain but I think you may need
to enable the option to allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls.

> processor and memory aren't correctly identified
>
> The thinpad have a mobile Pentium II processor 233 MHz and 96 megs of
> memory.
> But the information in /proc, are :
>
> $cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family     : 6
> model          : 5
> model name     : Pentium II (Deschutes)
> stepping  : 2
> cpu MHz   : 58.775
> cache size     : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug  : no
> hlt_bug   : no
> sep_bug   : no
> f00f_bug  : no
> coma_bug  : no
> fpu       : yes
> fpu_exception  : yes
> cpuid level    : 2
> wp        : yes
> flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
> pat pse36 mmx fxsr
> bogomips  : 124.11
>
> $cat /proc/meminfo
>         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  65478656 23764992 41713664 11476992  1912832 11362304
> Swap: 85114880        0 85114880
> MemTotal:     63944 kB
> MemFree:      40736 kB
> MemShared:    11208 kB
> Buffers:       1868 kB
> Cached:       11096 kB
> BigTotal:         0 kB
> BigFree:          0 kB
> SwapTotal:    83120 kB
> SwapFree:     83120 kB
The processor issue is a result of the power saving mode.  Try running
your test with the laptop plugged in and after a reboot.
To get the machine to recognize the proper amount of memory you need to
watch during the POST for the exact amount of free memory and put the
following line in your lilo.conf file.
  append = "mem=95M"

Where you can optionally replace the 95M with the exact number from the
POST followed by "K"
Both will work - but the latter will give you a little bit of extra
memory.  (I can't remember exactly how much is used by the BIOS...)

> PCMCIA doesn't work well with PC IDE Card
>
> cardmgr didn't report anything when I insert and eject PC IDE Card to
> attach
> my CDROM. All pcmcia_core, ds, and i86325 installed correctly. There
> weren't
> any beep either.
I can only suggest getting the latest version
of pcmcia card services from
pcmcia-ca.sourceforge.net

good luck!

brad