Thinkpad Freezing (Re: [ltp] Odd apm issue)

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:47:56 -0500

There are issues with the savage driver for the T20/T21, that cause it to freeze during
rapid scrolling of the screen or when running xscreensaver. I am not sure if its an
interaction with other programs (such as apm or sound) that cause this.  I do know that
if I leave the machine in a VT as opposed to running X+screensaver, I dont see the
freezing. The longest uptime on my machine has been about 4 days (not running
screensaver).

Do other people experience the freezing? It does not co-incide with any messages in the
syslog. The only out of it is to do a power-recycle.

DS
tom wrote:

> I'm sorting out two problems that causes mine to freeze up.
> The first is my sound module - it's awful!!!  Any suspend activity
> will lock it up.  And if X is running, I'm dead.
> The second is my Ethernet.  By default I keep getting an eth0 from
> my built in NIC.  But with a Wireless LAN card it locks up
> periodically because it's thinking that eth0 is a valid port.
>
> Mark Krischer wrote:
> >
> > i've got the same problem on a T21....  checking /var/log/messages shows the system
> > going for hours and then just stopping.  no error messages, or apm messages or
> > anything.
> >
> > --mk
> >
> > tom wrote:

> > > try isolating the problem by removing unnecessary drivers one at a
> > > time and see if the missing module allows you to continue a
> > > restore operation.
> > > I think that your wireless NIC is actually preventing it from a
> > > deeper suspend mode...
> > > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research
Shannon Laboratory