[ltp] remote printer

Kirk Turner-Rustin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:46:08 -0500

With a LaserJet + JetDirect card in RedHat 6.1, I just:

1.  Run printtool as root.
2.  Add a new queue:
    Queue Name:         hplaser, or whatever
    Remote Host:        IP address of JetDirect card
    Remote Queue:       Port 9100
3.  Choose an appropriate printer type (e.g., HP LaserJet 4/5/6 series).
4.  Check all of these settings:
    --  Send EOF after job to eject page
    --  Fix stair-stepping text
    --  Fast text printing (for non-PostScript LaserJets only)

Save, exit, etc. Worked fine with HP LaserJet 5N and 4050N having
JetDirect cards. Also worked with Lantronix print servers (using a
different port number, of course).