[ltp] tp600 / rh7.1 install/run issues

Wagner One linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 16:50:00 -0500

I'll start this with my letter that was going to accompany my tp600 on it's
trip back to IBM before they, in so many words, told me "it's not our
problem".

7/3/2001

IBM Thinkpad 600
Model/Type: 2645=AD45U
Aftermarket hardware: 3com 10/100 PCI network (3CCFE575BT)

Problem:

System freezes when attempting to install/use various distributions of
Linux.

History:

* System was running Redhat 6.2 for upwards of a year with no perceivable
problems.
* System was upgraded to Redhat 7.0 successfully.
* System was left untouched for upwards of a month (running on AC power).
* Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 were unsuccessful. The Redhat installer
(booting from the internal CD) freezes shortly after entering the GUI stage
of the installer.
* BIOS upgrades were performed to raise versions to latest, current version
* Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 were unsuccessful. The Redhat installer
(booting from the internal CD) freezes shortly after entering the GUI stage
of the installer.
* MS Windows 2000 was successfully installed and operated two weeks with no
perceivable problems.
* New battery, Ram and HD were purchased and installed
* New images of the Redhat 7.1 install discs were downloaded (md5sum
verified)
* Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 were unsuccessful. The Redhat installer
(booting from the internal CD) freezes shortly after entering the GUI stage
of the installer.
* An attempt to install the Mandrake 8.0 distribution reacted similarly to
the Redhat install attempts=8A freezing shortly after the GUI portion of the
install initiated.

Notes:

* An attempt was made to boot the dysfunctional Thinkpad 600 via a HD from
an identical Thinkpad 600 (same model number, etc.), that is running an
install of Redhat 7.1 was unsuccessful. The dysfunctional system froze in
the GUI/X startup. Falling back to text console also resulted in freezes
(i'm double-checking this statement this evening after questioning from my
friend who owns the other 600). (console mode svga was active)
* An attempt to match the operational Thinkpad 600/Redhat 7.1 BIOS settings
with the dysfunctional Thinkpad=B9s (including a BIOS downgrade=3DIBET46WW91899=
)
led to no success
* Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 with several expert mode toggles were made
(framebuffer probing, vga =B3lowres=B2, etc) with no success.
* Initial BIOS provided testing yielded errors in the CPU and Memory tests.
After replacing the RAM, all tests, from that point forward checked OK.
* no apparent difference w/ the 3com pci network adapter installed or not

-------

That's the scoop. I attempted an install of Mandrake 8.0 today and it seeme=
as though it was progressing well until I had to utilize the built-in
pointer and found it was non-operational and therefore had to discontinue
the install. Apparently the lack of support for the Thinkpad mouse/pointer
in Mandrake 8.0 is a known issue.

Any ideas on this one? I'm at a loss and IBM doesn't sound as if they're
interested in supporting this faithful (albeit fading) customer...

Thanks,
Mike Wagner