[ltp] Switch off display automatically?

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 04:45:16 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Tilmann Singer wrote:

> Hi
>
> After a few minutes of inactivity (under X) the screen of my A20p will
> go blank, but the backlight will still be switched on. How can I
> configure it to switch off the backlight automatically? Manually it
> works, by pressing Fn+F3.

Make sure "DPMS" is enabled in your X server.
(DPMS is the power save system for monitors)

Then, in whatever file you use to start x programs, add the following:

to manually shut down the display, use

    xset dpms force off

(read 'man xset')

> Is that a good idea anyway? I think that that would not only save
> power when running on battery but it would also extend the lifetime of
> the backlight, since I heard that the brightness of the light tends to
> decrease with heavy usage.

That's what I've heard too, so I'm doing what you're trying to do.

> tia, til

hth, hand,

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau