[ltp] Problems with MPEG/DVD on 770E under RH 7.1

Adam Benjamin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:59:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one - and forgive me in
advance if I don't offer enough information to diagnose.  I'm not
quite sure myself where the problem could be.  Here's the poop:

- running RH 7.1 (Kernel 2.4.2 with Xfree86 4.0.3)
- smpeg 0.4.2 (if that matters)

The graphic environment looks wonderful.  I've got sound running fine,
and running in 1024x768 with 16 bit colour depth.  XFree86 thinks my
video card is a "Trident Cyber 9397 (generic)"  I can view RealAudo
movies just fine... looks and sounds great.

The problem is when I view MPEG related stuff.  Both playing DVDs and
playing just straight mpeg movies, what I see is a window for the
movie, with the picture moved down and to the right.  ie.  I only see
the top left hand (two thirds) of the movie.  Where the rest of the
movie should be is simply a blue background.  It also locks up the
entire system from time to time.  Haven't figured out a pattern to
why/when yet except that it happens (sometimes) when I *stop* playing
a movie.

I discovered yesterday that if I use "gtv" to play my mpeg, and then I
double the size of the movie, it still doesn't look quite right (lots
of garbage around the movie image) but I can see the entire movie
correctly.

It it helps, when I was watching the DVD I was using the following
software (compiled by myself) on the system:
libcss-0.1.0
oms-0.1.2
omi-0.1.0
mpeg2dec-0.2.0

I would be grateful for any assistance that can be offered, even if
it's simply to help me rule out what isn't causing the problem.  I
don't know if this is an artifact of the laptop, or if it's something
about the video drivers in combination with my chipset.   Help.  ;)

Thanks very much,

Adam Benjamin