[ltp] RH6.2 & TP770ED Dock III - 3rd IDE???

Ronald W. Heiby linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:43:31 -0600

Wednesday, February 28, 2001, 1:52:18 PM, I wrote:
> However, Linux does not seem to notice that it is there. I suspect
> that the default configuration is looking for at most two IDE chains
> and is not looking for the third one.

> Am I correct? Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

It turns out that I was not correct and there is no problem. "Cockpit
Error" is the most likely cause.

Although Win98 and the ThinkPad config utility told me that the Dock
was the third IDE interface, Linux saw it as ide4, the fifth
interface. Thus, all of my attempts to access the drive at ide2 (the
third interface) were failing. However, once I created a device node
for /dev/hdi, I was able to access the CD drive there with no problem.

Now that I can access the drive, my next project is to figure out how
to try to figure out how to burn CD-ROMs on it!

BTW, two things led me to my answer on the drive. First, I had
temporarily replaced the CD-RW drive with a normal HD and Linux had
found it at /dev/hdi*. Then, when I put the CD-RW back onto the
connector, Linux noticed that the HD was gone and asked me to confirm
removing it from the configuration. Linux then noticed that there was
a TDK CD-RW drive and asked me to confirm adding it to the
configuration. I don't recall having been asked that before. The
second thing was once I'd booted again with the CD-RW, I looked at (I
think it was) /proc/devices and found the ide4 block device and its
major device number. Using that, I was able to determine that I had no
device nodes for that major number. I made one and all's well.

Ron.