[ltp] APMD and Standby on the TP-T21

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 20:37:11 -0500

This would be fine......except that Fn+F3 causes a "hda: lost interrupt"
message on the syslog.

(I too use it at work with the lid closed......and use apm -s before I remove
it from the port replicator). But at home, I sometimes would like the standby
option.....where I dont have to disable the network....and stop my rsh/telnet
connections. And whether its by closing the lid or Fn+F3, I dont have that
option (unless I ignore syslog errors).

DS
Markus Alt wrote:

> "D. Sen" wrote:
> >
> > Thats a neat way to suspend the machine. I use 'apm -s' in similar ways.
> > However,
> > its still not a solution to when you *dont* want to suspend the
> > machine......but
> > just want to shut the lid.
>
> Proposal: Why not disable (in the BIOS setup menu) the suspend action
> initiated when closing the lid? Then you suspend only via <Fn><F4> and
> when closing the lid, only the screen goes blank, as with <Fn><F3> [1].
> (You should be able to test the latter by pressing the lib button below
> the power/suspend/ultra bay LEDs.)
>
> BTW, I've set it up this way as I don't want my machine to suspend when
> closing the lid. At the office, it sits in a port replicator and usually
> the lid is closed and I work with an external monitor/mouse/keyboard.
> But after opening the lid I can use the LCD display - and vice versa.
>
> Markus
>
> [1] On my T21 (SuSE 7.1, 2.2.18), I don't have the feeling that pressing
> <Fn><F3> or calling "apm --standby" does anything to the hard drive. It
> just blanks the screen.

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research
Shannon Laboratory