[ltp] APMD and Standby on the TP-T21

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:44:52 +0000 (GMT)

--- "D. Sen" <dsen@research.att.com> wrote:
> These are the problems I get with apmd:
>
> Standby (via Fn+F3 or apm -S):
>     Causes "hda: lost interrupt" message in the syslog. (I disable pcmcia
> services from the apmd_proxy script then this problem doesnt show. However,
> this is not an option using Fn+F3 because the apmd_proxy script isnt called
> then.)

apmd_proxy *is* called.  However the difference between using
"apm -S" and Fn-F3 is that when one does "apm -S", the Linux
apm driver is informed about the standby first (before the
APM BIOS); it sends notification out and then suspends the
system.  When "tpctl --suspend" or Fn-F3 is used, the APM
BIOS is informed about the standby first.  It does things
and then tells the Linux apm driver about the standby request.
Whatever the APM BIOS is doing is causing the "lost interrupt"
before pcmcia can be disabled.

Note that "apm -S" generates a "user standby" and "tpctl --susp"
and Fn-F3 generate "system standby"s.  Make sure that apmd_proxy
is set up to handle both kinds of standbys the same way.

Mutatis mutandis for suspends.

Thomas