[ltp] ultrabay how recognize it on linux??

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:14:53 -0800 (PST)

The machine constantly beeps at you and does not supply power to the
HD adapter unless you realy shutdown and power off.  (tried hybernate)

---- As written by Michael Selway:

> Thanks especially to Thomas and Robert for your comments.
>
> It seems everybody wants to do different things with their
> ultrabay.  My interest is swapping between the HD adapter and the
> DVD-ROM.  (Can't remember the last time I used a floppy disc.)
>
> >  I can warm swap floppy, battery and DVD-ROM.  The hardware will not allow
> >  you to do anything other than a cold swap for the HD adapter.
>
> By "cold swap" do you mean shutting down linux and powering down?
> Any thoughts or experience about whether I can get away with
> hibernating (ie powered down but not rebooted)?
>
> >  IIRC, the second hard drive is
> >  a second device on the primary ide interface, unlike the
> >  CD-ROM drive which is attached to the primary ide interface;
> >  therefore it should appear as hdb rather than as hdc.
>
> No, the CD and the hard disc adapter both show as hdc.
>
> I think I'll wait for redhat 7.1 which must be imminent now - that
> will take me up to kernel 2.4.  Then I'll try playing with warm
> swapping and see how I fair.
>
> Michael.

/* Robert Hajime Lanning                             lanning@lanning.cc
** Trade: Unix Systems Administrator (Senior level) (SAGE IV)
*/
#include <std_disclaimer.h>