[ltp] LILO problems

Jim Eberhardt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:12:24 -0600

Hi,

This isn't really a Thinkpad-specific question but I'm hoping someone can
help.  I recently upgraded the hard disk in my 365X to a 6.4 GB drive. I
installed Slackware 7.1 (kernel 2.2.16) from scratch (good time to upgrade
from my earlier installation) and restored my Win95 partition. Everything
was working fine until I tried to install a new kernel with LILO, after
which when I booted I would get the following:

LIL-

and the system would hang. The system boots fine off a boot disk. I had
already installed a new kernel but was recompiling with different
module/sound options in an attempt to install ALSA.

Any ideas on what caused this and how to correct it? If its a damaged
sector in the MRB is there a way to check it or repair it?

Thanks for your help.
Jim