[ltp] thirsty thinkpad

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:28:56 -0800

Dennis Lee wrote:

> Hi
> My thinkpad just jumped across the desk and took a big swig of Amber Ale.
>
> Any tips on cleaning it out?
> On reboot the terminal bell goes ape when it finaly got to the login:
> the d key would not work (i know there is no d in root but there is in
> the root password). If and when I boot it again I'll telnet in and do
> some fresh back up.
>
> So who has been there done that and what did you do?

Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again :-(

You have goo in your keyboard.  This results in some keys being stuck
"down", i.e. the computer thinks they are being pressed continuously.  Not
only does this overflow various input buffers, it also makes it effectively
useless to press some other keys, because they always get treated as key
chords.

Clean it up?  Take it to a service rep and have the keyboard replaced.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com