[ltp] thirsty thinkpad

Mike Johnson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:55:25 +0200

On Sunday 25 March 2001 04:14, you wrote:
> Hi
> My thinkpad just jumped across the desk and took a big swig of Amber Ale.
>
> Any tips on cleaning it out?
> On reboot the terminal bell goes ape when it finaly got to the login:
> the d key would not work (i know there is no d in root but there is in
> the root password). If and when I boot it again I'll telnet in and do
> some fresh back up.
>
> So who has been there done that and what did you do?

My thinkpad 770X drank a large glass of red wine (with the help
of a 3 year old daughter). It totally destroyed it! The machine kind
of worked after being dried out, but did not like to turn off and did
other strange things. Eventually I took the whole damn thing apart
and discovered that the wine had caused serious damage. Tracks
on the PCB on the power regulator board had been totally burned
out and the connectors that mate two of the boards together had
melted! I ended up junking it and getting an A20p instead. :-)

Moral of the story: Keep thinkpads and liquids separate!

Mike.