[ltp] Suse 7.1

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:25:26 -0800

T Dale wrote:

> Good advice, but unfortunately the TP240 hard drive is not removable, except
> by a surgeon.

Are you sure?  Some laptops have a snap-open door that lets you readily pull
the drive, while others require you to unscrew a panel to get the drive out.
I'd be surprised if your TP240 required more than removal of a few screws to
get the drive out.

It can be highly beneficial to do so.  Not only does it save your data if the
machine is declared dead, but you can even use it while the laptop is in the
shop.  For about $10, you can buy a bracket that lets you mount a laptop drive
in a desktop drive bay.  You then connect the drive to your desktop, and mount
it.

I know this because one of the times my Toshiba was in the shop, I installed my
drive in a cheap desktop.  It even booted the laptop-installed Linux with only
a modest amount of tweeking to make the video work right.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com