[ltp] T21 Savage driver issues (Was: T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 09 May 2001 00:01:13 +0200

Tim Roberts wrote:

> On Tue, 08 May 2001 23:10:18 +0200, Markus Alt wrote:
> >
> >"D. Sen" wrote:
> >
> >> I use vga=0x33b (1400x1050x8bits). Switching between VTs and X has been
> >> working since I switched BIOSes. I can also get out of X and back to a
> VT.
> >> With or without an external monitor.
> >
> >Tried it, but LILO didn't take the hex value. After converting it to
> >decimal, i.e. 827, it worked (with LCD), although 1400x1050 on the
> >console is a bit too much for me ... ;-) But of course this could be the
> >reason for the problems I had: I've never used 1400x1050 (the same
> >resolution as for X); always tried 1280x1024 or 1024x768.
>
> What happens when you do this?  Does the 1024 or 1280 console actually fill
> the
> screen?
>
> Usually, a graphics-mode console that does not fill the LCD just shrinks
> proportionally.

I've described that in detail in a couple of mails which I've sent to
you end of January. In case you don't have them anymore, I attach two of
them below.

After upgrading to the latest BIOS as D. Sen recommended, it looks
slightly different, but more or less the same.

Markus

Tim Roberts wrote:

[snip]

> >All this LCD/CRT stuff worked fine with 1.1.5 (even without pulling the
> >cable! ;-) ), so for the moment I'm back to that one. But of course, I'd
> >like to use the actual driver, not only because of the frame buffer
> >console support. If you could shed some light on this, I'd really
> >appreciate it. Furthemore, I will gladly provide more information or
> >test some other configuration. Just let me know.
>
> I just don't know.  There were a number of tweaks between 1.1.5 and 1.1.8,
> but nothing that should have caused this kind of thing.  One of the major
> things I added was DDC support, and that appears to be broken in many
> cases.
> Can you try adding
>     Option  "NoVBE"
> to your XF86Config file in the "Device" section for the Savage and see if
> it
> makes a difference?

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim! I does make a difference, indeed: The
kdm login menu is now visible on LCD or CRT (depending on which display
I switch to with <Fn><F7>) right after startup - without any cable
(un-)plug actions!

The only unsatisfying thing is that I still get the vertically split
frame buffer VTs when I switch back to the text consoles. After several
attempts, I found out that this only happens if

a) the external display is connected and I switch at least once from CRT
to LCD and back and

b) the resolutions of the frame buffer VT and X don't match.

E.g. if I boot with vga=792 (i.e. 1024x768x16M) and the initial mode in
my XF86Config is "1024x768", switching back and forth between text
consoles and X (kdm) works and looks as expected. Same story for vga=795
(i.e. 1280x1024x16M) and "1280x1024" in XF86Config.

But if I choose a higher resolution in XF86Config (i.e. "1400x1050"),
then the "rest" of the frame buffer VT is filled with the duplicated
text (to the right) and a strange grey and blue pattern (bottom). "Rest"
means the area that goes beyond the VT's resolution; in other words the
difference between the full screen 1400x1050 and the VT's 1280x1024.
Therefore, more duplicated text and weird pattern is visible if I choose
a smaller resolution for the frame buffer VT, e.g. 1024x768 or 800x600.

Don't know if I made myself that clear. Trying some graphics ... ;-)

                      |<------ 1400 ------->|
                      |<-- e.g. 1280 -->|

           -      -   -----------------------
           A      A   |                 |   |
           |      |   |                 |   |
           |     e.g. |    "normal"     |  <---- duplicated text
           |     1024 |      text       |   |
          1050    |   |                 |   |
           |      V   |                 |   |
           |      -   |---------------------|
           V          | grey & blue pattern |
           -          -----------------------

IMHO the text on the frame buffer VT should always be centered,
regardless which resolution the VT has. That's the way it works with LCD
only.

If I could get rid of this behaviour (or get vga=normal to work), 1.1.8a
would be fine. Any ideas?

With regard to the 85Hz refresh rate: Although I'm not feeling
masochistic, I think I will try to construct such a modeline. Windows
with a light background are beginning to annoy me on the external
display because of the flicker. I'll let you know if could get it to
work; maybe others who also have CRT displays would be interested in
this, too.

Tim Roberts wrote:

[snip]

> Well, I will have to grind through some scenarios and see what I can find
> out.  Now that I think about it, I've been testing a 1024x768 desktop with
> 1024x768 frame buffer.  I haven't tried mismatches.  I will do so.  I think
> you said this only fails if you have different resolutions, AND you have
> switched from CRT to LCD to CRT at least once.  How are you switching?
> With
> the Fn keys, or with s3switch?

I did some extensive testing of all the possible scenarios I could think
of. All this was done with a 1400x1050 resolution in XF86Config and
vga=792 at boot option (i.e. a 1024x768 frame buffer console). Here are
the results (fortunately, the machine boots really fast ... ;-) ):

  | Boot  | Switched disp. |   Action to     | Result /
  | disp. | while in       |   switch disp.  | Additional action(s)
1 |  CRT  |       VT       |   Opening lid   | Bad VT on LCD
2 |  CRT  |       VT       |    <Fn><F7>     | Bad VT on LCD
3 |  LCD  |       VT       |    <Fn><F7>     | Bad VT on CRT
4 |  CRT  |       VT       |   s3switch lcd  | Bad VT on LCD
5 |  LCD  |       VT       |   s3switch crt  | Bad VT on CRT
6 |  CRT  | kdm login menu | Opening lid &   | LCD is blank -> <Fn><F7>
->
  |       |                | <Ctrl><Alt><F1> | Bad VT on CRT -> <Fn><F7>
->
  |       |                |                 | Bad VT on LCD
7 |  CRT  | kdm login menu | <Fn><F7> &      | LCD is blank -> <Fn><F7>
->
  |       |                | <Ctrl><Alt><F1> | Bad VT on CRT -> <Fn><F7>
->
  |       |                |                 | Bad VT on LCD

In #1 and #6, I booted with the lid closed as the "Action to switch
disp." suggests. Two things are amazing: In #6 and #7, the LCD is blank
after switching to it. And I've never managed so far to get *both*
displays active at boot time, although there is a corresponding BIOS
parameter. With my last machine (a TP 600X), this was no problem. Weird

> >P.S.: I've subscribed to the Savage40 mailing list in order to be
> >informed automagically when you update the driver. Would you like me to
> >post feedback to the list instead of sending it directly?
>
> No.  I am so gun-shy about spam and such, I've configued the list so that I
> am the only one who can post to it, and I really intend it to be a one-way
> pipe.  I'd rather get the feedback directly.  However, I really do
> appreciate
> the feedback!

Ok, I fully understand your concerns. I will continue to send the
feedback directly to you. And: I do appreciate the work you do! ;-)