[ltp] Solaris X86 8? on a Thinkpad a21p?/vmware 1.x

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

VMWare did have an upgrade offer.  I upgraded for $50.  It was for a limited
time, though.

I currently run version 2 and they have come out with the new subversion that
wupports the 2.4 kernel. (Though I am still on 2.2.18)

Though, with Solaris Intel, I have talked to the VMWare guy that gave a
technology presentation at SVLUG (www.svlug.org) about installing it as
a guest OS.  He told me there is a problem with the driver boot diskette
that didn't work with the way they handle the virtual machine.  What you
have to do is install it directly on the hardware then boot the already
installed partition in a VMWare session. (This is all not supported.)

---- As written by Michael Selway:

> Robert Nicholson writes:
>  > Anybody know if the Solaris X86 supports the hardware in the Thinkpads?
>
> I asked this question a year or more ago, and I did a little
> research.  My conclusion was that even if I could get Solaris 8
> running, there was very little chance that I'd be able to get
> X-Windows and pcmcia support working.  Someone very sensibly
> suggested running it under vmware.
>
> And on that subject, I'm a fully paid-up vmware version 1 user,
> but I'm now running kernel 2.4 and the vmware kernel driver won't
> build any more.  VMware are being very unhelpful.  I think they
> want me to buy a full-price vmware 2 licence - no option to
> upgrade my existing licence - which is unreasonable.
>
> Anyone else in this position?  What can I do?  www.plex86.org
> looks interesting but not there yet.
>
> Michael.

/* Robert Hajime Lanning                             lanning@lanning.cc
** Trade: Unix Systems Administrator (Senior level) (SAGE IV)
*/
#include <std_disclaimer.h>