[ltp] [Newbie] : Burning Caldera eDesktop 2.4

Brandon Walters linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 19 May 2001 14:46:36 -0400

    I just went through the process of burning Caldera's eDesktop 2.4
onto my A20m.  I also downloaded the iso file over a cable modem.  I
don't know about that "GetRight" program, but if I were you, I would
just use the ftp program that comes with windows.  From a command
prompt, you can type "ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with the IP address of where
ever you're downloading from.  Or use CuteFTP or maybe WS-FTP.  There's
a very good chance that the file was simply corrupted on download (you
mentioned it was interrupted several times).
    Just because windows shows an icon for a file, it doesn't mean that
the file is what you think it is.  Any file with an .iso extension will
show up with an icon associated w/ your burner software, regardless of
whether the file is a valid disc image or not.
    The more important question is, why are you trying to read the
"Binary and Installation" disc from windows?  What you need to do is put
the CD in your CD-ROM and reboot your computer (turn it off and on
again, not just a ctrl-alt-del).  You should be able to press a function
key (it's F-12 on my A20m) to go into BIOS and either choose a temporary
boot device or change the order in which devices are booted (put your
ATAPI CD-ROM before your hard drive).  Anyway, just boot from the CD-ROM
and you'll be fine (I don't think it's possible to install Caldera from
windows anyway, but I know other distr. like Mandrake will let you do it).
    I would highly recommend buying the distr. from a store however,
because the "free" distr is pretty bare bones, without all those
proprietary admin/config tools that make life easy in Linux.  I finally
got the "free" version of eDesktop 2.4 running well with all my
hardware, but it definitely took a little bit of elbow grease.

-Brandon