[ltp] sleeping pcmcia and hanging X

Ted Lin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:48:23 -0700

Hello, I've recently begun the process of trying to install Linux on my
tp600x. I've tried a number of distributions including rh7.1 and debian
(libranet) with varying degrees of success. Under redhat 7.1 (+ updates), I
find that my pcmcia nic (3com 575CT) seems to go to sleep after a period of
time. If I issue a cardctl suspend, cardctl eject, cardctl insert, it seems
to wake up and things are fine. I'd like to fix this (I know it's possible
since with my debian install this doesn't happen). More discouraging
though, is that I have seemingly random lockups under X. KDE or Gnome, it
doesn't seem to matter. It has occurred in KMail, as well as various
control panels. When this happens it locks up badly. I can telnet into the
machine, but killing X related processes only leaves the screen blank. I
must shutdown and do a cold restart, apparently to reset the video
hardware. Otherwise it'll come up blank if I just reboot and startx. RH 7.1
ships with XFree86 4.x, but from the archives I would think that this isn't
the problem. There's also the fact that it seems to work perfectly fine...
until. Sorry about the long  email. I'm *really* trying to wean myself away
from my win2k partition, but at this point, I still have to go back to it.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.