[ltp] serial port stays quiet on TP600

Peter Hutnick linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 05:57:35 -0600 (CST)

Thomas Vogels said:
> Peter, so the serial port works fine for you?  Which kernel?

Well, I wouldn't say that.  I don't have any serial devices handy to test with.
 I might look later to see if I can dredge up a serial mouse (or I might have a
loopback around here somewhere . . .)

Kernel 2.4.12 (main tree, no fancy -ac or anything)

> setserial doesn't give an error, it fails silently:
>
> # tpctl --rs1
> resource state:                                       current
>   serial port 1:                                     enable  COM1 0x3f8
>   IRQ4
> # setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> # pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 --list
>   Unable to bind to port /dev/ttyS0
>   pi_bind: Invalid argument

No, that looks good here:

# setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

I'm running Debian unstable with the aforementioned kernel.  Oh and:

# setserial -V
setserial version 2.17, 27-Jan-2000

Oh, and I don't really know anything about tpctl, but it seems like -rs1 might
have something like "com1 on" or something.  Maybe try ntpctl.  Oh, and you have
thinkpad.o and friends loaded, right?

One last note.  I don't have that silly PCMCIA modem in my system.  I don't know
why it would matter, but AFAIK /it/ doesn't have a UART (winmodem) and would
give you freaky results.  But it shouldn't be on com1/IRQ4.

I hope something here is useful!

-Peter

PS: Thomas, you don't happen to have sound working, do you . . . ?

-P