[ltp] Replacement LCDs (for 770X)?

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:42:14 -0800

Bad laptop karma (full moon, imbalance in the Force?).  Amazed that you could bring it back at all - the last time I had to try this was several years ago when the recovery tools were not in such good
shape and you had to manually track the block/sectors around to find the bits.  Luckily a TA was keen to try it.

Harry

Tod Harter wrote:

> Cheer up Harry, it was a bad week for laptops. I was using my A20 the other
> day when it slid off my lap. The machine only took a slight bump, but
> apparently the retaining screw that keeps the hard drive in its bay had come
> loose. The drive became unseated momentarily and as a result I got a nice
> lesson is massive file system corruption!!! Spent the last 3 days sifting
> through the wreckage.
>
> I must say though, linux has some excellent tools for salvaging ext2 file
> systems. I happened to have a copy of the Debian business card "BBC" CD on
> hand and booting off that I was able to salvage most of my files using
> "debugfs". I've never seen so porked a file system! The primary superblock
> was gone, the MBR was gone, and half the inode table was wrecked. Even so
> after an epic 5 hour fsck the system was able to boot and run X. "lost+found"
> had 7500+ entries in it, and half the rest of the files were corrupt. /dev
> was totally gone. Even so the kernel manfully made its way through something
> approximating a boot sequence!
>
> Needless to say I spent yesterday installing the newest Mandrake 8.1 ;o). I
> must say it is so far the best desktop distro ever! The only thing I had a
> beef with is that it totally botched its setup of X. Luckily I had a copy of
> my old XF86Config-4 to go by.
>
> On Friday 30 November 2001 02:10, you wrote:
> > Harry Mangalam wrote:
> > >Oh boy did I ever not want to be writing this...
> > >
> > >Walked out of the room with laptop plugged in & running, screen open, new
> > > puppy running free.  Did errands. Walked back in, laptop on floor, closed
> > > but still running, opened it up to find 7 years bad luck.  Plugged it
> > > into an external monitor and did the Fn+F7 and the ext screen lit up
> > > perfectly as if I'd never left - the guts are apparently working
> > > perfectly, but the screen is abstract art.
> > >
> > >Anyone know where to go and how much a new screen for a 770X is?  Or a
> > > used, intact 770X?
> >
> > I feel your pain!! :( I am so sorry about what happened to your machine.
> > I cannot offer any tips, but I sure hope you get some help.
> > -Elmo

> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

Cheers, Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 (v&f) -- mangalam@home.com
                    [plain text appreciated]