[ltp] Setting up to install RH on a new ThinkPad 600

Douglas Bridges linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 23:27:43 -0400

> > for the suspend file. How big does it
> > have to be? I'm guessing the size of the RAM plus a little bit more.
>
> Yep.

The exact figure is the size of the RAM plus the size of the video ram.

> > I've been using RH 7.1 at work and home. Is anyone running RH 7.1 on a
> > TP600? I've seen nothing in the webring about it, most people's
> > experiences seem to have been with RH 6.0.

I installed RH 7.1 on a A20m and there were no problems.

> If there are RH 7.1 users out there with web pages describing
> their experience, let me know so we can get your site on the
> "Linux on ThinkPads" webring!
>
> > I've seen the warning about I2C and lm_sensors. Is it safe to just
> > install the kernel-2.4.2 that comes with 7.1, and then promptly
> > upgrade to say 2.4.9 or so?
>
> I'll let RedHat users answer that.

I'm a slackware user now, but the install of RH doesn't activate the
sensors_detect of lm_sensors. The safest way to do the install of RH 7.1 is
to use the expert install and manually deselect the installation of the
lm_sensors package. Not installing it will break a dependancy with KDE, but
just uncheck the box to check depedancies, and you should be fine.

Doug Bridges

http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm