[ltp] Setting up to install RH on a new ThinkPad 600

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:32:56 +0100 (BST)

 --- Mark Atwood <mra@pobox.com> wrote: >
> I just bought a refurbed ThinkPad 600 2645-85U.
>
> (What does the 85U mean, anyway?).

The 85 is the configuration number and 'U' stands for
'United States'.

> I've been reading around the WebRing, and have a couple of questions.
>
> I guess I need a MSDOS partition

a FAT16 partition to be exact

> for the suspend file. How big does it
> have to be? I'm guessing the size of the RAM plus a little bit more.

Yep.

> I suppose that keeping TP2.EXE on that MSDOS partition

Do you mean PS2.EXE?

> and making that partition bootable would be wise.

I think so.

> Where can a find a version of
> MSDOS that will work for that purpose? Does FreeDOS work?

Good question.  I don't know.

> I've been using RH 7.1 at work and home. Is anyone running RH 7.1 on a
> TP600? I've seen nothing in the webring about it, most people's
> experiences seem to have been with RH 6.0.

If there are RH 7.1 users out there with web pages describing
their experience, let me know so we can get your site on the
"Linux on ThinkPads" webring!

> I've seen the warning about I2C and lm_sensors. Is it safe to just
> install the kernel-2.4.2 that comes with 7.1, and then promptly
> upgrade to say 2.4.9 or so?

I'll let RedHat users answer that.

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm