[ltp] Setting up to install RH on a new ThinkPad 600

John Garvin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:47:06 -0500

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:25:34PM -0700, Mark Atwood wrote:

> I just bought a refurbed ThinkPad 600 2645-85U.

Sorry for the late reply, Mark.
I'm new to linux on laptops as well, and I have the
same model. Great machine.

> (What does the 85U mean, anyway?).
>
> I've been reading around the WebRing, and have a couple of questions.
>
> I guess I need a MSDOS partition for the suspend file. How big does it
> have to be? I'm guessing the size of the RAM plus a little bit more.
>
> I suppose that keeping TP2.EXE on that MSDOS partition, and making
> that partition bootable would be wise. Where can a find a version of
> MSDOS that will work for that purpose? Does FreeDOS work?

 I am dual booting to win2k right now, and that partition has
 no hibernation file on it. I thought that file was only used by
 win98. I haven't had much time to play with APM at all
 yet; see below.

> I've been using RH 7.1 at work and home. Is anyone running RH 7.1 on a
> TP600? I've seen nothing in the webring about it, most people's
> experiences seem to have been with RH 6.0.

 I have successfully installed RH7.0 but not 7.1.
 In my experience, the RH 7.1 installer froze as it began
 reading packages from my CD. FWIW, the Mandrake 8.0 installer
 wouldn't work either.
	I only wanted a minimal system with X and PCMCIA support,
so I went with Slackware 8.0. The installer ran without a hitch,
installed a 2.4.5 kernel, no problems.
	I have cs-pcmcia 3.something.29 installed. Not working yet,
but I'm certain it's configuration problems, not software. I have
some intermittent problems with X freezing up the machine using
fvwm2 also, and I think it's the same issue. I couldn't use any
XF86Config files posted on the tp600 users' sites- X reported
'no screens found' (I imagine because I'm running the later version).

 I do think this list is the best resource around. Please do post
 your experiences.