[ltp] New user with question

Noesis linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 09:55:11 -0500

Thanks for the information.  Any idea when IBM will have pre-installed
Linux systems on the market? As in, ones that come with all the drivers
one needs, Linux hardware support, etc.?  I have heard news about it,
yet don't know when they plan that to happen.  Because of money issues
right now, I got time to wait because I need to save up anyways. Because
of the shit economy I'm looking for a job with only two weeks left in pay
:/  You guys know how it goes, perhaps.

So, once I get back on a payroll I plan to go for a laptop.  I checked out
some friends Dell laptops and while the gear inside them was not as good
as IBM, it was decent. My main gripe with the Dell laptop is the plastic
outside of it.  That laptop did not look robust at all.  I want to be
taking this laptop on trips with me, it does not have to be made of
aircraft grade titanium, but I want it to be somewhat strong.  Plus,
now everytime I walk through security at the airport I feel like I'm
getting raided like back in the day. "What's in the laptop, sir?"
"Data." "Lets just make sure, turn it on."  "Ok."  "It's ALLAH with a
RED HAT ON! NOOOO!! BOMB!"  Sorry, got off topic. So, in a nutshell,
Dell is out of the picture now. ;) (As the security guy throws the laptop
against the wall at ducks for cover).

So I'm going to do some checking on IBMs website after the lists
joint help (Thank you all) and when I make a decision I will let
you guys know. Be it in a month or in a year. :)

Kind Regards,
	-Noesis

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 10:32:34PM -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
> [...]
>
> James Mckenzie
>
> Noesis wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >      I'm new to the list.  My handle is Noesis.  I run
> > various projects on the Internet (check my .signature for
> > more information, if you care <g>) and enjoy using the
> > operating system Linux (Red Hat and Slackware user).
> >     Somewhat soon I'm going to need to buy a laptop.
> > However, I would not want to install the dreaded Windows
> > on it, so I began looking at some Linux solutions.
> > I know I could go for a lappy not meant for Linux, but I
> > really don't want to mess with non-supported hardware.
> > After a trustly Google search, I found that IBM and Dell
> > will build pre-installed Linux laptops.  Now, to be honest,
> > I would just format and reinstall myself if I bought anything
> > pre-installed, but I want to make sure all the gear put
> > inside is supported (I'm not much for hot rodding things
> > I need for work ;).  So that is how I came to the conclusion
> > of Dell and IBM.
> >     First I looked at Dells website, and found that they
> > sold the C600 Lattitudes with Linux.  However, no Zip Drive
> > option, which is not ok.   I'm not much of a Dell fan anyways,
> > but I wanted to check them out because IBM is so expensive
> > (..and I'm no Bill Gates).
> >     So next I went to IBM.  I learned that they sell both
> > the T and A series with Linux.  However, once I got done pricing
> > one out, I found that IBM lived up to its expenive reputation.
> > By the time I got done it was about 2500.  The computer is
> > the ThinkPad a22m with a pIII 1GHz with 256MB RAM and a Zip
> > Drive addition.  I only saw non-parity RAM, which was also
> > interesting.  On a laptop I would probably install Red Hat
> > because that is what we use at the office.
> >     By now you guys are probably wondering what my question
> > is.  Hah. Well, I am looking for suggestions.  I'm kind of
> > lost and looking for some guidance.  Linux laptops are not
> > something I can really read a review about or gets tips on
> > in anyplace but Linux Laptops .Com or what ever it is (I
> > have it bookmarked).  So any help would be appriciated.
> > IE. Model suggestions, new models I might want to wait for,
> > things to be careful of, etc.
> >
> > Excuse my long entry, but I thought it would help to give
> > some detail instead of asking "What laptop should I get"
> > like some punk asking "How do I hack?" on an IRC channel. ;)
> > So, hopefully I did not piss anyone off by my question.
> >
> > At any rate, have a good night, I look forward to some
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >         -Noesis
> > --
> >      _   __                _
> >     / | / /___  ___  _____(_)____
> >    /  |/ / __ \/ _ \/ ___/ / ___/
> >   / /|  / /_/ /  __(__  ) (__  )
> >  contact@darktide.com
> >  Darktide.com - DigitalNoesis.com
> >  Gammagear.com - Webfringe.com

> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at: