[ltp] Re: A20p Screen Support

Alan Shutko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:23:45 -0400

"John Marrett" <jmarrett@mediagrif.com> writes:

> I was wondering about the support for the screen on the A20p (2629-6CU,
> 1400x1050, ATI Rage Mobility 128).

Works great.  You may need a modeline included... last time I tried
without it, it didn't work.  zhlive.ch Linux on IBM ThinkPad A20p
<URL:http://www.zhlive.ch/zhl_contents_linux.html> has the one I use.
The RHL X configuration tool has the modeline built in as well, if you
choose the right monitor (Thinkpad LCD or somesuch).

> I have read a number of articles that suggest that this video card is
> supported properly under X4+ but, not with X 3 (most recent
> version).

Supported great, and fully accelerated, under XF86 4.0.3 and higher.
Including 3d.

Don't try it with XF86 3, it's not worth your hassle.

> Actually it is supported, but at a painfully slow pace. I will be using it
> to run VMWare, which doesn't work with XFree86 4 (at least not in full
> screen mode.)

That's not correct.  VMWare works fine with XF86 4 in full-screen
mode.  VMWare doesn't support the more recent DGA version so it won't
be as speedy as it could be, but it's perfectly usable.

Today is what happened to yesterday.