[ltp] thinkpad 310ED

R­mmell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 06:01:06 -0700

--=.Sg.(j5sz.dSwiE

Dan
hmm
I am not sure why there would be an issue with the modem on Mandrake
unless we are dealing with a winmodem or perhaps an irq conflict┐, Debian
is quite large afaik
How much real estate you got and what kinda processing speed exists on the
310D┐ Mandrake is geared for the Pentium ╣ ╗ although they ported version
7
to the 386 Pentium▒

Slackware 8 ▒ is a down and dirty distro if really wish for wisdom and
imho is the road to take .

get on iirc and /join žlackware channel
many nice folks there willing to help Also, pay a visit to Thomas Hood┤s
website
which represents a premier source of information for LinuÎ  on thinkpads.

Regards
R­mmell

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
"Daniel W. Schar" <dws@protos.lifesci.ucla.edu> wrote:

> hello
> well, i have been goin threw my test of different setups on my thinkpad
> 310ed, seeing which distributions seem to work ok with it.  redhat 7.0
> is not a prob, though you need to very carefully tweek the XF86Config
> file, which i have done unsucesfully a few times and fried stuff,
> haah...
>
> mandrake 8.0 goes on very easily, and is easy to edit the XF86Config as
> well, but i have been stumped gettin a modem to work on it as well as
> the net card...
>
> slackware, forget it, nightmare...could not get it to work on it using
> the cd distribution of 8.0.  but i have an older version which is floppy
> based that i cna put on anything, got it up and running, no X of coarse
> on an old 486 toshiba laptop and a gateway as well...
>
> so now im trying debian, and will give up after this and put redhat 7.0
> back on it...if anyone has any sugestions as to a good distribution that
> is not too heavy, and likes thinkpads, let me know...
>
> dan

> Daniel W. Schar
> Dept of Biology (OBEE), UCLA
> 621 Charles Young Dr. South