[ltp] Couple questions

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:17:30 -0400

On Monday 22 October 2001 12:05 pm, Adam M. Bodnar wrote:
> Just some questions I have,

> 2nd, I have a thinkpad 600 and will be looking to upgrade the memory soon.
> What I was wondering is what sort of memory people have used in theirs. I
> mean, is it alright to use PC100 or PC133 in it?

I don't think you'll get much choice here.  Just tell the vendor the
model.  I don't think there is an easy way to change the FSB on
a 600, so you won't be able to take advantage of the faster memory
anyhow.

I upgraded mine with a 128M device, think it was Kingston brand.

> 3rd, I think I remember seeing a post about getting sound to work on the
> tp600 and someone mentioning a popping sound they got, but I didn't save
> the message and since the archives aren't updated I can't check this.
>
> Anyways, I got my sound to work with sndconfig, but everytime I play a wav
> (haven't tried mp3s yet, will once I get the laptop on the network) I get
> a popping sound at the beginning.
>
> Is there a way to fix this?

The standard OSS sound drivers are the issue.  See Thomas Hood's
webpage where he describes the installation of the ALSA drivers.

 http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm