[ltp] redhat 7.2 (Overcoming dependencies)

Joe Christy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:09:24 -0700

--------------02C66D9B6E48F0B33598FE01

Robert W March wrote:

> Joe Christy wrote:
> >
> > Actually, you can just install as usual, and just "rpm -e --nodeps lm_sensors"
> ^^^
>
> Joe,
>
> I believe that 'rpm -e' refers to uninstall.  Is this what you intended
> to say?

    Yep. As long as you don't invoke any of the programs in lm_sensors, you're
safe*, _BUT_ I wouldn't recommend it. So you can do the RedHat install w/o thinking
(at least about lm_sensors & KDE), then remove lm_sensors before it gets used.

    Just to be safe, I would recommend that you remove lm_sensors before KDE ever
gets invoked: When anaconda (the initial installer) gets to X configuration, just
tell Xconfigurator that you don't want to boot into X, and remove lm_sensors from
the console as root.  N.B. you need the --nodeps flag to reassure rpm -e that
you're not seriously harming your KDE installation. When you are done, just change
the first non-comment line in /etc/inittab:

id:3:initdefault:

id:5:initdefault:

and the next reboot will revert to giving you X. (In the mean time you could either
use the command "startx" to launch X as root, or "telinit 5" to get you to a
graphical login panel.)

    Joe

* In fact I had it installed under a 6.2+rawhide for about a week before I realized
it and suffered no ill effects, despite using KDE exclusively. Since then, I moved
through clean installs of 7.1 and roswell as above.

--
======== Joe Christy ============================== joe@eshu.net =======
---- Voice:831/423-7151 --- Mobile:650/483-9123 --- FAX:831/469-0804 ---

--------------02C66D9B6E48F0B33598FE01

Robert W March wrote:
lm_sensors"
intended
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yep. As long as you don't invoke any of the programs
in lm_sensors, you're safe*, _BUT_ I wouldn't recommend it. So you can
do the RedHat install w/o thinking (at least about lm_sensors &amp; KDE),
then remove lm_sensors before it gets used.
lm_sensors before KDE&nbsp;ever gets invoked: When anaconda (the initial
installer) gets to X configuration, just tell Xconfigurator that you don't
want to boot into X, and remove lm_sensors from the console as root.&nbsp;
N.B. you need the --nodeps flag to reassure rpm -e that you're not seriously
harming your KDE installation. When you are done, just change the first
non-comment line in /etc/inittab:
<pre>id:3:initdefault:</pre>
<pre>id:5:initdefault:</pre>
and the next reboot will revert to giving you X. (In the mean time you
could either use the command "startx" to launch X as root, or "telinit
5" to get you to a graphical login panel.)
I realized it and suffered no ill effects, despite using KDE exclusively.
Since then, I moved through clean installs of 7.1 and roswell as above.
<pre>--&nbsp;
---- Voice:831/423-7151 --- Mobile:650/483-9123 --- FAX:831/469-0804 ---
__ If I can save you any time, give it to me, I'll keep it with mine. __</pre>
&nbsp;</html>