[ltp] more /dev/thinkpad

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:26:16 +0100

William Sherman -Visualization wrote:

>>I may be totally wrong here (if so, please would someone correct me!),
>>but as I understand it, tcptl is a useful way to configure the BIOS
>>settings of the thinkpad while it is still running the OS. However, I
>>believe that if you are happy to just reboot it, you can make the
>>settings directly within the BIOS.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion Richard.  Unfortunately though, I can't
> seem to get that to work.  I booted to Windows and in the RUN box,
> did: "ps2 SP Fixed Max", but I don't know how to verify that it
> took effect in windows, and when I rebooted to Linux and examined
> /proc/cpuinfo, I still get a paltry 91MHz as the reported CPU speed.
>
> Hmmm, now that I think about it, I did power down between Windows
> and Linux, would this have an effect?  I recall using either PS2
> or tpctl a long time ago to enable a serial line, and that effect
> has certainly lasted across powerdowns.
>
> Is using PS2 what you had in mind when you suggested configuring
> the BIOS?

What happens if you just boot the machine, use F1 to go into the BIOS
setup, and set the power management right there? The options are
certainly there to be configured on my current (a22p) and previous
(770z) thinkpads and I should imagine that's true for all of them.

That's what I'm suggesting you do. But please do note I'm not an expert
here, and it's *just a possible suggestion*.

Richard