[ltp] Linux 7.2 and 10/100 Etherjet CardBus

Stephen Gregory linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Mike -

but I still have my problem. I ran ifconfig eth0 and there obviously were
no IP addresses, RX, TX etc because, sure enough, I never defined any. In
the installation Red Hat 7.2 never gave me the network configuration
screen.  That really is the mystery to me. If I see in dmesg etc that the
system is aware of the card (assuming that is what it means when it
reports eth0:  Xircom cardbus revision 3 at irq 11) then why would Red Hat
not ask me to configure it? I suppose I could ask Red Hat, but they'll
just tell me there is no problem.

Anyway, I took the brute-force approach of installing Windows 2000 to see
if it has any problem with the card and it does not. The card is just fine
and the network connection went flawlessly. However, I DON'T WANT Windows.
I reckon the xircom_cb driver module is not doing the job. (I went with
RH7.2 to get the latest drivers.) A friend said that I should perhaps
compile the driver from source and then try a couple of other drivers.
I'll try all that and, as the reinstallation of Linux still won't allow
network setup with the supplied driver, I'll be using netcfg. I presume
they haven't removed that from the distribution.

Thanks again,
Steve Gregory

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Mike Johnson wrote:

> On Friday 26 October 2001 08:49, Steve Gregory wrote:
> > Hello out there,
> >
> > This is my very first contact with a mailing list, so please forgive me if
> > it is in some way messed up.
>
> Apparently not!
> >
> > I have a Thinkpad 570 with an IBM 10/100 CardBus Etherjet card. I'm
> > installing Linux (Red Hat 7.2) for the first time on this laptop and I
> > have no experience with laptops of any kind.
> >
> > On boot up I see
> >
> > eth0: Xircom cardbus revision 3 at irq 11
> >
> > and lsmod shows that the xircom_cb driver module is loaded, which
> > seems reasonable.
> >
> > Does anybody have any suggestion (other than crawling back to Microsoft)?
>
> How about running 'ifconfig eth0' (as root) and seeing what that says?
> If the interface has been configured you will see something like:
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:DA:E4:E7:82
>           inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:860 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:1218 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:6
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:234242 (228.7 Kb)  TX bytes:1080 (1.0 Kb)
>           Interrupt:5 Base address:0x300
>
> The next thing to consider is, did you tell RedHat to use a fixed IP address
> or DHCP? At boot time there is a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d called network
> that configures your network cards. The script reads /etc/sysconfig/network
> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to determine exactly how to
> set up the card.
>
> If the PCMCIA card manager is running the network script, you should see
> something like the following in /var/log/messages (obviously this is from
> my machine)
>
> Oct 26 08:44:30 thinkpad network: Setting network parameters:  succeeded
> Oct 26 08:44:30 thinkpad cardmgr[1027]: socket 1: 3Com 572/574 Fast Ethernet
> Oct 26 08:44:30 thinkpad cardmgr[1027]: executing: './network start eth0'
> Oct 26 08:44:31 thinkpad network: Bringing up interface lo:  succeeded
> Oct 26 08:44:34 thinkpad network: Bringing up interface eth0:  succeeded
>
> Good luck!
>
> Mike.

Stephen Gregory
Physics Department