[ltp] Subpixel sampling with XFree86 on T20

Ching Law linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 01:48:10 -0500

Hi, anyone has experience with subpixel sampling using XFree86 4.x on a T20?
I just want to make sure that the rgba value is 'rgb', instead of 'bgr',
for a T20 ...

Regards,
Ching

This is something I found on the usenet.
----------------
No, you don't. All you need is an XFree86 4 server, that actually supports
the RENDER extensions - you can check it like this:

$ xdpyinfo | grep RENDER
    RENDER

Now install your True Type fonts below /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/
and run "SuSEconfig --module fonts". Now install package qt-experimental
using YaST (it will replace the original qt library package) and restart
KDE. Enjoy! Now all KDE2 apps should use AA fonts (check with xmag). If
you use an LC Display, you might want to consider to activate a different
RGB rendering algorithm by adding the following line to ~/.Xdefaults:

Xft.rgba: rgb

This looks much better on Laptop screens because it is actually using the
singel RGB subpixel for antialiasing (similar to Microsoft's ClearType)

BTW: If you do not have any TrueType fonts available, you can suck them
from the Microsoft web site by executing "/usr/X11R6/bin/fetchmsttfonts"