[ltp] APM suspend hangs on T21 (10% of the time)

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:52:52 +0200

"D. Sen" wrote:

> Approximately every once in ten times, my T21 hangs while trying to
> suspend the machine (using apm -s) requiring a cold-reboot.
>
> There doesnt seem to be any pattern to it (it can happen the second time
> I try to suspend or the 8th time). The only constant feature is that the
> screen freezes with a diagonal pattern akin to a desynched display.
> I dont hear the hard-disk so I suspect its a problem with the graphics
> driver/chipset but I have no certain proof that it is.
>
> Does anyone else see the same problem on their T21s? My model is the one
> that came with the SXGA+ (1400x1050) resolution (with the Savage IX
> chipset)

You use a framebuffer text console, right? This is my guess as I do use
it and also get this strange diagonal distorted pattern when switching
from X (i.e. vt07) to a text console (e.g. vt01) with either
<Ctrl><Alt><F1> or "chvt 1". Sometimes switching back to vt07 crashes my
X server! :-(

But I never had problems with suspend/hibernate and resume so far. And I
use hibernation every day when carrying the machine home from the
office. Might be slightly different than suspend, but w/ regard to X, it
shouldn't matter, I think.

So: Sorry, no great help - just cold comfort regarding the pattern issue

Markus

--
Markus Alt
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany