[ltp] Detecting a kernel message

Dr. Aldo Medina linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:25:07 -0500

I'm own a thinkpad 380ED with a 3com LAN/Modem PCMCIA card. I use this
laptop in my work (connecting to the LAN), and working at home (Modem).
I know about divine and other programs who configure my networking
options at boot time, but I was looking for some way to make the changes
"in the fly". That is: working at work, hibernating, then going home and
just turn on my computer. I already defined two schemes for this needs
(cardctl scheme modem and cardctl scheme net).

However, I was thinking if its possible to monitor kern.info messages,
looking for the "lost link beat" and "found link beat" messages, so some
script could run in the background and change schemes for me.

Is this possible?
Is this safe (removing and inserting the RJ45 cable without turning off
the card, but when there isn't any traffic)?

TIA

--
Linux User #98419         -o)    | Va un hombre al hospital y le dice
http://counter.li.org      /\    | al médico: Doctor me duele aquí. Y