[ltp] 770X CD-ROM drive and CD-RW media

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:53:47 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Wright, Corey A wrote:

> I have tried two 24x CD-ROM drives (FRU P/N 02K0515) with my 770x and both
> have difficulty reading the last half of CD-RW discs or whenever the
> drive/media has warmed-up.  Am I the only one with this problem (and just
> happened to end up with two bad drives) or is this common?

[...]

> The drive can read the table of contents, displaying the volume name and the
> root directory listing, and can usually read the whole directory structure,
> but whenever I try to read files later on the disc or after I've had the
> drive/disc spinning for a while, the system begins to spew errors.  In Linux
> the system log records kernel messages about the drive returning errors,
> timing out, and not being ready, and under Windows explorer sputters, hangs,
> and/or blue-screens.

[...]

> CD-ROMs and CD-Rs work great.  CD-RWs, whether single or multisession,
> written TAO or DAO under Windows or Linux, whatever brand, have trouble
> being read.  Conclusion: it's not the media.

> Am I the only one or can anybody with this drive model empathize with me?

I have a TP 600E, and I reported what appears to me to be exactly the
same problem reading CDs in the bay DVD drive on this list a while back.

I've had the drive sent to IBM and replaced, but the problem persists.
On a second attempt, they replaced the system board, but that didn't
help either.

The files are read eventually, but it takes forever, and I don't think
the drive mechanics will last very long with that kind of usage. :-(

> I've scanned the net (google.com and groups.google.com) and can't find
> anyone else with this problem (or even reading CD-RW media at all with this
> drive).  And I'm sure the company who I bought this from is getting tired of
> me hassling them for yet another replacement drive.  So is this behavior
> normal and I should just accept it, or is there hope and I should just keep
> asking for yet another replacement?

Replacing the drive did nothing for me.

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau