[ltp] [Fwd: NFS install: Slack 8.0 onto a thinkpad]

Mark Ritchie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 22:15:16 -0700

G'day all.
I have successfully installed slack 7.0 via floppies onto my thinkpad
701c, and installed additional packages after the base set and required
networking packages.

Anyway, I wanted to install openssh in .tgz format, and chose the one
from slack 8.0.  Well it doesn't work, because 7.0 comes with glibc
2.1.2 and 8.0 uses 2.2.3.  OK, so now I can stick with a fine 7.0
install which works perfectly, but no ssh, or I can try to do the 8.0
NFS install ( use kernel 2.2.19, *not* 2.4.5).  Floppy option is out,
because by 8.0 even the 'a' series doesn't fit on floppies.

I cannot get the NFS to work.  I watch the little light on the 3com
dongle, and then I get a timeout on the attempt.

So far, I have done the following:

1.	read up on nfs in "Essential System Administration", "Running Linux"
and man nfs and man exports.
2.	mount the slack 8.0 cd with the command:
	mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cd
3.	check out the path to the disk sets on the cdrom, they are in
/mnt/cd/slakware
4.	edit /etc/exports to include only:  /mnt/cd/slakware	*(ro)
5.	run the command "exportfs -r" to re-export /mnt/cd/slakware to
include only the most current values in /etc/exports
6.	all pertinent nfs daemons are indeed running; check with "ps ax |grep
d".  Yep, they're all there.  OK if you need to know, they are:
	/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
	/usr/sbin/rpc.statd
	/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
	/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
	/sbin/rpc.portmap  (usr ps ax |grep portmap)
7.	run the command "showmount -e" to see what I have exported.
	I get:  /mnt/cd/slakware *

8.	Now I run setup on the thinkpad.  I have the 3com 3c589 pcmcia nic,
so I use:  bareapm.i bootdisk,
color.gz root disk,
pcmcia.dsk disk
to load the proper pcmcia modules.  These run just fine.
9.	For setup, I start with "Set up your swap partitions"
	Then I set up /, and /boot, and /home.
	I choose "quick format with no bad block checking" because I've already
checked for bad blocks.  --  Then "1 inode per 2048 bytes"  --  Then the
same for /, /boot, and /home.
10.	Move onto source media selection:  I want NFS here.
11.	enter ip address 10.0.0.3
	netmask 255.0.0.0 (since I am sketchy here, I do an ifconfig -a on the
working machine, and find the netmask there)
	answer "no" to gateway
	enter ip address of nfs server:  10.0.0.2
	enter slackware source directory: /mnt/cd/slakware
--->the disk subdirectories are located on the cd at /slakware, so that
makes the actual mount point /mnt/cd/slakware

NOW, mounting nfs...   <waiting>
no light on dongle...
I get the message mount:  RPC:  Timed out

and
(if you see errors above and the mount table does not show your nfs
server, then try setting up nfs again)

this is the point I get to, and have had no joy thus far.

I just cannot see why the nfs mounting doesn't work

Thanks in advance,

Mark

--
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parent,
gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.