[ltp] T20 usb and suspend problem

Robert B. Lowrie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:35:31 -0600

Hi --

I have a T20 with the following problem:  If I go into suspend mode with the
usb modules loaded, then when I attempt to resume, the system locks up, often
with the system bell ringing continuously (it's quite an attention-getter
when in public).  I must power off to recover.

If I unload the usb modules before going into suspend mode, then resume works
just fine.  But this is inconvenient, because I must get out of X before
suspending. I use an external usb mouse and the usb modules are "in use"
while X is running (correct?).  If there's a way to unload the modules
without stopping X, this would be a reasonable work around.

Any ideas?

More details about my system:

I'm running Redhat 7.1, with the Redhat kernel upgrade to 2.4.3.  I haven't
recompiled the kernel.

To load the usb modules, I do

/sbin/modprobe uhci modprobe hid modprobe keybdev modprobe mousedev

To use the external usb mouse, my XF86Config-4 has the following:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "USB Mice"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option      "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"
     Option      "Device"     "/dev/input/mice"
     Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
     Option "Name" "WHEELMOUSE(PS/2)"
     Option "Vendor" "MICROSOFT"
     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"