[ltp] T23 (2647-5KU) with Linux and X?

Robert B. Lowrie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:43:56 -0600

Michael Nelson wrote:
> > I can't find ANY X server that supports the video chip (S3
> > Super Savage/IXC SDR.  There is XFree86 support for some of the
> > Savage cards, but none of them work with this thing.

Have you tried the driver at www.s3graphics.com?  I just tried this driver on
my T20 (WARNING: different chip than the T23) under XFree86 4.1.0, with some
hope that it would fix some problems I'm having (see below).
My X log reports:

(II) SAVAGE: driver (version 1.1.14) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
        Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
        Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133, Twister,
        TwisterK, SuperSavage/PM128, SuperSavage/PM64, SuperSavage/PM64C,
        SuperSavage/PM128IX_SDR, SuperSavage/PM128IX_DDR,
        SuperSavage/PM64IX_SDR, SuperSavage/PM64IX_DDR,
        SuperSavage/PM64IXC_SDR, SuperSavage/PM64IXC_DDR

so maybe your SuperSavage is supported by this same driver.  Try it at your
own risk.  The driver I'm using is in the 290-298drv folder at the s3graphics
web page.

Unfortunately, s3 doesn't release the source code for their driver.

Frankly, I've been very disappointed with the Savage on my T20 using any
driver.  Unless I use

Option "NoAccel"

the server crashes all too often.  Without NoAccel, two applications always
crash it:  StarOffice and Maple (a commercial symbolic math package).  I have
no problems with these applications on three other platforms that use either
nVidia or ATI cards.  There's a well-known fix for StarOffice, but
nevertheless, since kernel 0.99, the T20 has been my most unstable Linux
platform.

-Rob