[ltp] Arrgghhh. Sound Problems Now...

Karl Young linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:09:01 -0700

I think this is a problem specifically with the drivers distributed with
the 2.4.2 kernel (at least the version Red Hat distibutes). I have the
same sound card on my T21 and it worked fine under RH 6.2 but no longer
works reliably under RH 7.1. There's one audio conferencing program
(VRVS) that I can no longer use because of this. I haven't pursued
solutions very vigorously though, as I currently just reboot into W2K
for audio conferencing.

> I have had the same sound card on a desktop machine and it worked out of
> the box even with RH 6.1.
>
> Have you tried sndconfig ?
>

> > I'm trying to get sound working though, and failing miserably.
> >
> > The sound chip in this thing is a "Crystal Semiconductor
> > CS4624/CS4297a", which doesn't seem to be supported by the oss
> > drivers in the 2.4.2 kernel, or in the OSS commercial package,
> > *or* in the AlsaSound package.  I've tried all three now and
> > none of them will load the module.
> >
> > Anyone have sound working on this chip yet?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Michael

Karl Young    kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC  M/S 71  PO Box 20450