[ltp] USB mouse; XFree86; Screen blanking

Charlie Hedlin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:25:38 -0600

Are you using bios power management or do you relegate things like the
screen control to the OS?

I personally turn off all the timers in the bios so that I can easily
adjust them when I want.  The list of packages that can replace this
functionality is fairly long.

If you are using applications to control this, most will look at
interupt usage.  This can be awkward, because while the PS2 keybaord and
mouse have dedicated interupts, the USB is all on one.  If you have
other USB components you could keep your machine awake unintentionally.
   Refer to whichever application is controlling the screen (usually X
itself, which doesn't suffer the problem I just described, the Vesa
power management stuff can be used to turn the screen on and off, and it
doesn't have to use interupts).  In my case, I use sleepd to put my
machine into suspend if I leave it idle, and it can be passed interupts
to watch on the command line.  The display is managed through X, and
doesn't need that.  The only bios timer I have is to hibernate 30
minutes after suspend.

Charlie