[ltp] Enabling Intellimouse with Linux

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
5 Apr 2002 18:10:30 -0600

+---------- On Apr 5, Rob Bell said:
> I have the following Linux environment into which I'd like to set up an
> Intellimouse (wheel mouse).  I would like to use the wheel button as
> either a third button or to scroll the command buffer in a Gnome
> terminal.  My main goal is to be able to highlight and paste text within
> a terminal window.  Is this possible?  Could someone walk me through how
> to set this up?

Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Find the InputDevice section for
the mouse. If you connect the mouse to your Thinkpad using a PS/2
socket (round, 6 pins), then a single InputDevice suffices for both the
TrackPoint and the external mouse.  If you connect the mouse to your
Thinkpad using a USB socket, then you need a separate section for the
USB mouse.  I assume you have one if necessary, because you say the
mouse is working fine as a two-button mouse.

In the appropriate InputDevice section, set the Protocol option to
"IMPS/2". Make sure the Emulate3Buttons option is not set - if it Set
the protocol to "IMPS/2". set. Set the ZAxisMapping option to "4 5".

Example for PS/2 mouse:

    Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Mouse0"
	Driver "mouse"

	# /dev/mouse should be a symlink to the appropriate device,
	# such as /dev/psaux
	Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

	Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"