[ltp] Urgent:No boot a tp600x bios update!

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 04:05:14 +0200 ((MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerzeit)

Hello,

> > INIT:	 version 2.78 booting
> > INIT:	 Entering run level:5
> > Id "1" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > Id "2" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > Id "3" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > Id "4" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > Id "5" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > Id "6" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT:	no more processes left in this run level
>
> Have you enabled CONFIG_VT in you kernel?

This is what I do not know for sure, since I use the stock suse
kernel, never compiled one of my own.

The story gets more involved since today I was actually able to
fully run linux albeit as a single (none) user. Logged in with lilo.
Whenever I try from there init 2 or 3 (console with network) the same
errors come. On the other hand starting the services one by one for
the given runlevel I eventually was able to reach level 5 and from
there started xdm and had the usual kde2. Almost usual, because none
of the configuration utilities work. Any click on Yast or Konsole
gives me:
"DCOP communication error (Konsole)
There was an error setting up inter-process communications for
KDE. The message returned by the system was:
Authentication rejected, reason: None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed. Please,
check that the "dcopserver" program is running."

Now a check gives /opt/kde2/bin/dcopserver running.

An attemt to umount with a mouse click the windows partition /dev/hda5
(still mounted by the single user, was needed to write the log
messages during the diagnostic process) gives me:
"Could not start process, can't talk to Klauncher"

What puzzles me (but may be a rule) is that never had I the option to
change consoles with Alt-F2, F3 or Ctr-Alt-Fn the runlevel regardless.
Only Alt-F1 was functional, the single user login. I logged out and in
this time Gnome and again working as usual, but Yast still fails.
Decided to reboot (not knowing what else can be done) and boot
linux normally and crashed as described in the previous letter.
Regards,
Boyan