[ltp] How Important is the Windows Partition?

Victor Wagner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:09:22 +0400 (MSD)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, the Professor wrote:

> From: the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com>
> Subject: Re: [ltp] How Important is the Windows Partition?
>
> I have a small dos partition on my thinkpad (760ED) only to use the dos
> sound drivers to make my MWave sound hardware function.  I wish I didn't
> have to do it that way, but that is the only way I could get it too work.
> Does anyone have a better way?  I don't think you will need the windows
> partition.  There are linux versions of the thinkpad utils.

1. Linux version of thinkpad utils do not do everything PS2.EXE does.
2. You don't need DOS partition to run PS2.EXE. It happily (albeit slowly)
runs from DOS system diskette. And it fits there too. And since
only basic hardware configuration functions are needed from it, becouse
anything else is supported by tpctl, you need to run it very seldom
3. There is Linux MWAVE driver, which unfortunately doesn't support
  760ED. But I think that this is possible to use hacked version
  of doesemu to find out differences of old MWAVE from supported one
  and write support for it. I estimate it about a week of capable kernel
  hacker. and two or three weeks for me who didn't write on more low-level
  languages than Perl for year or so.

  Unfortunately I do not have two or three weeks of spare time right
  now, and I consider it is much cheaper to upgrade to the supported
  model of notebook. I think 380 series is one of them.

--
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88