[ltp] XF86 4.1.0

Victor Wagner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:26:40 +0400 (MSD)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Bill Turner wrote:

> > that 4.20 will resolve the problem
>
> Running Vector Linux 2.5 on TP 760 (think that's right) and what I

I think that there is a big difference between different models of
Thinkpad 760 - one most important is is it SVGA (800x600) or XGA
(1024x768) screen. Even letters after 760 are irrelevant  - as far
as I can understand from Harware Maintainance Manual (downloadable
from IBM web site) E, ED and XL models could be shipped with both.

> found was "no joy" on XF 4.2.x and I have to use XF 3.3.6 because as
> Jim said there is no "generic SVGA" driver in 4.2.x and the Trident
> driver is totally hosed to be polite about it.

Strange... I have no problems with either 3.3.6 X server or 4.1  (from
Debian Woody) on XGA. Note that X server is only thing which interfaces
hardware and nothing prevents you from using X librares from 4.2 with server
from 3.3.6. X protocol has pretty standartized long ago. You'll loose
only some "cool" extensions such as DRI which are not supported on
this hardware anyway. Probably it is where your problem lies.

Try to turn off all the XFree-specific extensions in XF86Config, and
may be even some acceleration features. At least

> No choice.  Not if you want to run X anyway.

Strange... I put xdm in my /etc/init.d as soon as I got notebook
with 32Mb of memory and 1024x768 LCD. I can believe that one can wish
to use text mode on 20Mb 486 and 640x480, but on Pentium with 72Mb graphic
environment has obvois advantages. Of course, if one doesn't use bloated
"desktop environments"

I think that threshold where X is more usable than console lies
about 24Mb of memory and 800x600 screen resolution

Of course, one has to be somewhat picky about software to have good
responce times on P-133, but anyway he has more choice than on console.

--
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88