[ltp] End:Urgent:No boot a tp600x bios update!

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:13:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies to the thread!

Decided not to waste more time in trying to salvage the system. The
"INIT: respawning too fast..." messages persisted, no matter what I
tried. Yesterday I did a fresh reinstall of suse 7.3 over the old linux
partitions (swap, /boot -ext2, / -reiserfs), with formatting them at
first before the install.

And here a strange thing happened. After the initial and successful
hardware and X configuration I rebooted and the system halted at
exactly the same place as the old system after the bios-update: right
after the kernel calls init. This time the error message was different,
instead of the 'respawning..' now it read approximately: "Cannot start
getty. No init file. Please, try a restart with the following
parameters at lilo boot prompt initd=...". Giving the exact places of
initrd and boot in the /boot partition at lilo boot did not help.
Although if I rescue boot from CD the fdisk -l and fstab data coincide.
And the /boot partition was there. Probably something with the
partition table is messed up very badly in order the kernel not to be
able to see the /boot partition at boot time. In my view it was not a
hardware problem.

Decided to repartition the linux partitions again and this time
merged the /boot within the root partition. Installed again and
everything works just fine, as before the unfortunate bios update.
Updated the kernel to 2.4.16, because some people suggested my problems
could be also due to some bug of 2.4.10-4 working with reiserfs.

Regards,
Boyan.