[ltp] two questions -- 600E / X / RAM

Carl Klitscher linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:18:14 +1200

I also had the same freeze and crash problem with a 600x that was fixed by
doing the same thing. I must therefore apologise for not responding
earlier... I had assumed that since my problems were on an earlier release
of RH and had been fixed by upgrading to another release (SuSE 7.3 in fact)
that a later release of RH would have fixed the situation. More proof that
assumptions are A Bad Thing.

As far as KDE and speed go, if you are feeling keen you might like to look
at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/frankkru/page2.html There is a tutorial
there that can be used to optimise various bits of software for your
particular platform. The tutorial specifically mentions qt, kde and xf86
however it can be used for other things as well. I did see a performance
benefit on the 600x after doing this although I didn't do any scientific
before and after type tests. I also learned a lot, which is always a good
thing.

Carl