[ltp] Problems with Floppy Drive

Brent Gonder linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 02:29:39 -0400

Yes, I am having similar problems.
- The floppy is recognized when the dmesg command is issued, and upon
bootup
- During Debian 2.2 r6 install, a floppy cannot be created, as it fails.

My ThinkPad is an A21p 2629 rr9
Confirmed that the floppy works when using XP 2000, and 98
I tried 'floppy=thinkpad' but this made no difference.
The floppy drive is virtually useless at this point.
(A real pain if you are attempting to create floppy based routers..)

After a base install, I ran superformat /dev/fd0 hd and it returned the
following:

Measuring drive 0's raw capacity       - seems to fail immediately

(following info was copied from the dmesg command)
(-it is the same message that appears after an attempted superformat)

floppy0: floppy timeout called

floppy driver state
-------------------
now=116814 last interrupt=116516 diff=298 last called handler=c018be44
timeout_message=floppy start
last output bytes:
1a 90 116516
c1 90 116516