[ltp] self-made external battery for laptops project

peter nol linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:41:07 -0400

Hi all i recently got an IBM 600 thinkpad at an auction with a dead battery.
The price for severall cells and a chip sealed in plastic called "a custom
laptop battery" is ridiculous, so i decided to make my own.
Googling got me to this page
where it is described how to make an external battery from a 12v camcorder
battery sold in radioshack for $40
And "fool" the laptop to think that it's a
http://www.fixup.net/tips/battery/battery.htm

I am also looking into the idea of using a small motorcicle 12v battery.
I will probably use the AC plug in the laptop.
Looking for advice/opinion.
Does the thinkpad require 16 volts for the plug to operate or
is 12 volts adequate and you just have to trick it into starting to use the
12 volts- like with the libretto?
What do you think?
I will probably get the battery in about 2 weeks and start experimenting.