[ltp] can't see USB CD-ROM

Jim Redmond linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:15:40 -0500

"The one HOWTO I found recommended compiling a custom kernal!"

Believe it or not, this is your best bet.  Not only will a custom kernel
fix this USB CD-ROM issue, but you can tweak all manner of settings to
make any machine perform as you want it to perform.  This, IMHO, is
Linux's greatest advantage over closed-source operating systems.

Compiling a new kernel is much easier than you might think.  You'll need
to download and unpackage the source, configure it, compile it, and
install it.  There's loads upon loads of documentation for this process,
both on the Web and packaged with the source; I'm sure you can get more
personalized help on this list if you ask.

To get the source and some help compiling, look first to
http://www.kernel.org.  (Be sure to check the list of mirrors to find
something nearby.)

Keep us posted!

--