[ltp] can't see USB CD-ROM

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:28:12 +0100

Tino Keitel writes:
 > On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 14:38:34 -0400, Phil R Lawrence wrote:
 > > 1.  I have to mount /dev/scs0 manually after I plug in my USB CD-ROM drive.  Can
 >
 > This is the normal behaviour of Linux as with any other (removeable) device.
 >
 > > this be automated?

There are probably better ways, but I use the automounter for this
sort of thing.  So in /etc/auto.master I have

	/dv	/etc/auto.dv

and in /etc/auto.dv I have:

	camera -fstype=vfat,gid=100,umask=2 :/dev/sda1
	pc -fstype=smbfs,fmask=777,dmask=777 ://pavilion/c

	cd	-fstype=iso9660,ro	:/dev/cdrom
	floppy	-fstype=auto	:/dev/fd0

	# zip mount on parallel port.  might need "insmod ppa" first
	zip	-fstype=vfat	:/dev/sda4

This means I can take a look at my digital camera (a USB device)
by plugging it in and going to /dv/camera/.  And CD-ROMs are in
/dv/cd, and an ms-windows PC I sometimes plug into is /dv/pc.  You
need to remember to type "sync" before you unplug the device if
you've written to it; I usually "umount" it explicitly, although
the automounter will do that on its own eventually.

Some window managers poll for inserted CD-ROMs these days, but
that just seems like terrible engineering.